9/19/08

Fire alarm

Yesterday I went on the kindergarten field trip to the Fire Station. I was so impressed with the presentation. They went over and over some great points like:

1. When you hear the fire alarm, go outside.

2. Don't hide, go outside.

3. Fall and crawl.

4. Stop, drop and roll.


Last night at about 2:00 am I was awakened by the dang fire alarm going off. I think that I actually had a heart attack, my hearted stopped, and then restarted. I thought for sure that the house was on fire. I was thinking about how I was going to get all of the kids out of the house safely. Of course, Brooks slept though the whole thing.

The alarm lasted about 2 seconds. It was just a reminder that we need to change the batteries. Why? Why? Isn't there a better way to inform people that they need to change the batteries? Maybe a red flashing light or a small quiet nice sounding beep? Or maybe a subtle text message?

The funniest thing about the whole situation is Cutie had a dream the night before that our house was on fire and we all had to get out. I am so glad that she slept through the whole thing. Those of you who know her well will agree with me.

2 Comments:

Bilary said...

I hate fire alarms as well. They send me into an instant panic. HATE THEM! And it is the worst when they start chirping and going off (and why does it always happen in the middle of the night too?) when the batteries need to be changed.

I'm glad your sweet one slept through it. Don't need to panic her!:)

Blackeyedsue said...

Oh! There is your million dollar idea! Figure out some way to get the fire alarms and your phone to connect. PB is a techno-geek...he could figure it out.